Think about getting ready to go on a road trip. Do you typically stop at the gas station before hitting the road? Now, think about how you prepare yourself to power through your day. Do you start off by filling your tank – that is – eating breakfast? Breakfast is considered the most important meal of the day because it gives us the energy we need to get through the day both mentally and physically. Plus, many studies suggest people who eat breakfast have a smaller waistline and generally live a healthier lifestyle.
Now I am not asking you to wake up an hour early to cook a gourmet meal. Instead, here’s a quick and easy recipe for Freezer Breakfast Sandwiches. These are great to have on hand when you’re pressed for time, which for many of us is every morning!
Freezer Breakfast Sandwiches
- 6 large eggs
- 6 whole wheat English muffins
- 6 slices low fat cheddar cheese
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Preheat oven to 350° F.
- Spray a muffin tin (medium or large) or small ramekins with nonstick spray.
- Crack one egg in each section (or ramekin).
- Use a sharp knife to gently break each yolk.
- Bake the eggs for 10-15 minutes, until set.
- While the eggs are baking, slice the English muffins and place on surface.
- Slide eggs out onto parchment paper and allow to cool slightly. At this time you can sprinkle salt and/or pepper to taste.
- Once cooled, place egg onto bottom piece of English muffin, layer with cheese and top of English muffin.
- Wrap each sandwich is plastic wrap and freeze.
To reheat, remove sandwich from the plastic wrap and wrap in paper towel. Microwave for 1 minute on each side.
Other ideas for a quick and healthy breakfast include:
- Greek yogurt with granola
- Cottage cheese with berries
- Fruit (banana or apple) with nut butter
- ½ peanut butter and jelly sandwich
- Oatmeal with nut butter
- Granola bar
So, the next time you’re tempted to skip breakfast, think about all the tasks you have to accomplish for that given day. You’ll be much more prepared with some fuel in your body!