It’s easy to get caught up in our busy lives and forget about those New Year’s resolutions we made about eating healthier, exercising more, or losing a few pounds. With the seasons changing (despite the current weather), now is a good time to get motivated and “Bite into a Healthy Lifestyle” which is the theme of this year’s National Nutrition Month. National Nutrition Month® is a month that is designed to pay special attention to making informed food choices and developing good eating and physical activity habits. While we all wish there was a magical food, drink, or pill that would help us achieve optimal health, our daily routine is most important. What we choose to eat on a regular basis is crucial, but let’s not forget that adequate physical activity is just as essential! During the month of March, focus on ways you can dedicate yourself to a healthy lifestyle. Not sure where to start? Here are 5 ways you can celebrate National Nutrition Month:
- Eat Breakfast – Start your morning off with a healthy breakfast. Include lean protein, whole grains, fruits, and vegetables.
- Make Half your Plate Fruits and Veggies – Eating a variety of fruits and vegetables can give you energy, fiber, vitamins, and minerals that are needed to sustain a healthy lifestyle. Don’t forget to choose a variety of color!
- Control Your Portions – Use measuring cups and spoons to portion out your meals.
- Drink More Water – Avoid soda.
- Be Active – Adults needs at least 150 minutes (30 minutes a day, 5 days a week) of moderately intense physical activity for most health benefits.
Want to know more? Find out more about National Nutrition Month here.