Jerry Segal is a true inspiration. He turned a life-changing personal experience into positively changing lives for others.
In 1989 Jerry came to Magee for rehabilitation from a spinal cord injury unit following unsuccessful neck surgery. “Let me try” has always been Jerry’s philosophy. Take golf. While a patient at Magee, Jerry asked his wife Carolyn to bring his golf putter to Magee. He missed playing golf—a favorite activity. Jerry used the putter during physical therapy. He would shrug his shoulders and practice putting.
Every Thursday while Jerry was a patient at Magee, his friends would visit for dinner. When the idea of a golf outing came up, Jerry said, “Let’s do it for Magee!” The Jerry Segal Classic was formed. Since the first outing in 1990, the Segal Classic has raised over $15 million for patients at Magee.
The Jerry Segal Classic has made the following possible at Magee over the past 28 years, and much more!
- Five wheelchair accessible buses to transport patients
- Meals for family members and guests through the Segal Friends & Family Meal Program
- Segal Housing Fund allowing families who live far from Magee to stay in accommodations close to their loved ones at Magee
- Segal Street on Magee’s rooftop that enables patients a safe place to practice maneuvering around real-life obstacles such as uneven curbs, potholes, porch lift, and a car to practice transfers
- Patient Equipment Fund for patients without insurance coverage to cover items such as medications and assistive devices
- Television and phone service provided for all Magee patients free of charge
- Patient leisure activities such as the Friday Pizza Party, Poker Night, and holiday events
- Wendkos Community Center for Stroke Survivors which supports the Stroke Club and provides community based activities and socialization opportunities for stroke survivors and their families
- Patient Peer Mentor Programs for patients and family members with spinal cord injury, amputee, brain injury, and stroke
This Friday, September 15, the 28th Jerry Segal Classic will take place on three golf courses—Green Valley Country Club, The ACE Club, and Sunnybrook Golf Club.
The Segal Classic includes a great auction. And even if you can’t attend the event, you can still participate! Click here to visit the online auction or visit www.501auctions.com/SegalClassic. Register and start bidding! There are great items including over 60 golf courses, restaurant packages, vacations, and more.
For more information on the Segal Classic, contact SegalClassic@MageeRehab.org or 215-587-3090.