Certified Nursing Assistant
Magee Rehabilitation Hospital opened in 1958 as the first free-standing rehabilitation hospital in Philadelphia. The Hospital has over 600 employees and is nationally recognized for outstanding programs in physical and cognitive rehabilitation, with comprehensive services for spinal cord injury, brain injury, stroke, orthopedic replacement, amputation, pain management and work injury. Magee serves as the federally designated Regional Spinal Cord Injury Center of Delaware Valley. Only 14 such centers exist in the country. Magee is a founding member of The Christopher Reeve Foundation NeuroRecovery Network, which provides state of the art rehabilitation therapy.
Magee is seeking Per Diem Certified Nursing Assistants to provide patient care and treatment under the direction of professional staff. The Nursing Assistant is responsible for working as a team player, on both the nursing unit and in other areas of the hospital assisting the patient, family and professional staff in achieving the patient’s goals.
The Nursing Assistant is accountable for the following areas:
- Demonstrates commitment to patient care and the patient care team
- Understands the philosophy of the Department of Nursing, Department of Rehab Services and understands the philosophy of the hospital along with Hospital Policies and the Mission Statement
- Has the ability to communicate effectively and appropriately to supervisors, staff and patients
- Is able to identify resources available to meet the needs of the patients
- Practices patient confidentiality and respect for patient rights utilizing HIPAA standards and the current organizations Patient Bill of Rights.
- Assists in unit based Quality Assessment activities
- Must be able to exert 50 pounds of force while pulling, pushing or lifting patients and/or devices
- Practices Standard Precautions
- Practices safety at all times while performing job responsibilities and reports unsafe conditions when identified
- Responds to fire, emergencies and disease situations according to protocol
- Answers telephones using good customer service technique
- Rearranges equipment or furniture in the patient rooms
- Assists in orienting Nursing Assistants to the nursing unit
- Transports patients to and from different areas according to patient schedules
- Transports specimens internally and externally as directed
- Delivers supplies and belongings to patient rooms
- Accompanies patients on outside medical appointments while providing care supervision, and a safe environment for the patient while outside of the Hospital
- Provides direct patient care to an assigned group of patients, which is supervised by a practicing rehabilitation licensed professional. The care can include, but is not limited to: grooming, dressing, feeding, bathing, lifting, transfers, mobility, locomotion, turning, assisting with elimination, vital signs, and assisting with other functional tasks
- Assists in providing patient care and treatment under the direction of a licensed/certified/registered health care professional from nursing, occupational therapy, physical therapy, speech and language pathology, recreational therapy, horticulture therapy or other professional team members.
- Applies knowledge of human growth and development while under the direction of professional staff
- Orients the patient and their visitors to the hospital and treatment areas
- Reports observations of changes in the patient’s condition or behavior to professional staff
- Assists with the patient admission and discharge process. Packs and unpacks belongings including the belongings of patients sent out emergently. Creates a list of items packed for storage in Purchasing: one copy down to purchasing, another copy filed in the patient belonging book on unit.
- Obtains and records: vital signs, weights, intake and output and calorie counts
- Collects patient specimens, under the direction and supervision of licensed professional
- Refills and delivers water pitchers to the patient’s bedside
- Prepares the environment for group activity
Patient Meal Assistance
- Assists patients in the dining rooms by working with them to meet their nutritional needs.
- Supervises patients and works with the appropriate team members during mealtime to ensure patient safety while eating.
- Assists patients with menu selection according to their prescribed diet.
- Picks-up and delivers the tray carts and individual patient trays.
- Assists patients with meal set-up and use of adaptive equipment.
- Delivers nourishment and assists with patient feeding.
- Retrieves diet information from on-line Clinical Data System.
- Certified Nursing Assistant
- CPR Certification.
- High School education or equivalent.
- Graduate of Nursing Assistant training program.
- Certified Nursing Assistant in the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania.
Magee Rehabilitation Hospital is an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, religion, national or ethnic origin, disability or protected veteran status.
Mail, Email or fax your resume to:
Magee Rehabilitation Hospital
1513 Race Street
Philadelphia, PA 19102
Fax Number: (215) 587-9471