Join us for the 27th annual Beast of the East wheelchair rugby tournament, November 12-13, 2016 at the Riverwinds Community Center (1000 Riverwinds Drive, West Deptford, NJ 08086). The games begin at 9 a.m. each day as a bracket style tournament. All games are free open to the public.
A sport unlike any other, quad rugby is as competitive as it is intense. Players collide, literally, as the teams of four scramble to push a volleyball down a basketball court through their opponents zone and across the goal line. Competition is limited to athletes with impairments to both lower and upper limbs, and each person is given a point value based on their level of functioning. Teams may only field a certain point total at any given time during the game’s four periods. Play is fast-paced and rough as the players skillfully navigate modified wheelchairs around the court and into one another.
There will be 8 teams competing for the title of “Beast of the East:”
- Carolina Crash – Charlotte, NC
- Maryland Mayhem – Gwynn Oak, MD
- Raleigh Sidewinders – Raleigh, NC
- Medstar Punishers – Washington, DC
- EWAF Warriors – West Hempstead, NY
- Northeast Passage Wildcats – Durham, NH
- Pittsburgh Steelwheelers – Pittsburgh, PA
- Magee Eagles – Philadelphia, PA
If you would like to come out and support the Magee Eagles, their schedule is:
Saturday, November 12
- 9 am – Magee Eagles vs. New York
- 12 pm – Magee Eagles vs. Pittsburgh
- 3 pm – Magee Eagles vs. Maryland
On November 13, games will start at 9 a.m. The schedule of games for that day will depend on each team’s performance on November 12. We hope you can come out and join us!
Interested in learning more about Wheelchair Sports? Contact Magee’s Wheelchair Sports Coordinator at email@example.com or 215-587-3412.