Magee Riverfront is excited to announce monthly ReWalk Clinic Days! The ReWalk Personal System is an exoskeleton that allows people with paraplegia to stand and walk. ReWalk has the first unit that is FDA approved for home use for people with complete or incomplete spinal cord injury T4 level or below.
If your physician agrees that a trial of ReWalk is appropriate for you, he/she will need to write a prescription for “ReWalk Physical Therapy Evaluation and Treatment.” A physical therapist (PT) will perform an evaluation to measure you and see if ReWalk is right for you. If the evaluation is successful, you can attend a ReWalk Clinic Day where you can try out the system yourself. Then, when you are ready, the ReWalk team will discuss purchase options with you. If a personal unit is purchased, Magee’s ReWalk-certified therapists will train you to use the unit in the home and community with the help of a caregiver.
How do I know if the ReWalk is right for me?
To help determine if ReWalk is right for you, you need to be able to answer “yes” to the following questions:
• Do you have a spinal cord injury (SCI) at level T4 or below?
• Do you have full function of your arms and hands?
• Do you weigh 220 pounds or less?
• Are you between 5’2” and 6’3” in height?
• Are you currently using a standing frame or performing another standing program?
The ReWalk Personal System cannot be used in individuals with the following:
• Significant heart or lung conditions or open pressure sores.
• Severe spasticity
• Unstable spine or unhealed fractures
• Severe neurological injury other than SCI
• Heterotopic Ossification
• Significant contractures (tightness) of the joints
For more information on ReWalk Clinic Days, please contact Magee Riverfront at 215-218-3900.
Photos courtesy of ReWalk